Ways to cope with the effects of a crime
Allow yourself to feel your emotions
- Allow yourself to feel the pain
- Keep notes on your progress
- Make daily decisions to regain a feeling of control
- Spend time with others, but allow yourself some time out
- Re-establish your normal schedule as soon as possible
- Try to rest, sleep, exercise and eat regularly
- Undertake daily tasks with care until your stress reduces
- Consider seeing your doctor or a counsellor for professional help
It helps NOT to...
- blame yourself for what happened – it was not your fault
- bottle up your emotions – find someone you can talk to
- make life-changing decisions – at least until you feel recovered.