The CSO holds a range of seminars on diverse legal topics and current issues. Each seminar is hosted by one of the CSO specialist practice groups.
Further details regarding topics and speakers will be included on invitations for the individual seminars.
If you would like more information regarding our Seminar Series, or would like to be included on the invitation list for a seminar/s in 2013, please email email@example.com.
A printable version of the 2013 seminar program will be available in January 2013.
Final Seminar 2012: 24 October 2012 Hosted by: Government and Commercial Practice Group
|Please note seminars are now held at Level 41, Governor Macquarie Tower, 1 Farrer Place SYDNEY NSW 2000. |
As this is a security building, please allow yourself time to sign in at the ground floor.
View a map of location
|CSO Seminar Series 2012||Hosted by||Topic|
|Wednesday 22 February 2012||CSO Torts Law Practice Groups||I have been issued with a subpoena for production. What do I do?|
|Wednesday 21 March 2012||CSO Community Law Practice Group||Community Law update|
|Wednesday 18 April 2012||CSO Commercial/Property (Litigation) Practice Group||Law through the looking glass: making sense of changeable things|
| Wednesday 23 May 2012||CSO Criminal Law & Inquiries Practice Groups||Criminal law/Inquiries Update|
| Wednesday 20 June 2012||CSO Child Protection Practice Group||Dissatisfied with Children's Court |
orders - where to next?
|Wednesday 18 July 2012||CSO Employment Law Practice Group|| Public Sector Law and Practice|
|Wednesday 22 August 2012||CSO Administrative Law Practice Group||Administrative Law Update|
|Wednesday 19 September 2012||CSO Constitutional & Native Title Practice Group||Current issues in Constitutional Law|
| Wednesday 24 October 2012||CSO Government and Commercial Practice Group||Hot Topics for 2012|
Please log into the CSO Client Login Centre to access copies of seminar papers from 2006 to present. If you're unable to access the Client Login Centre, please contact CSO Marketing.
- Government and Commercial Law Government and Commercial Law The Government and Commercial Law Practice Group hosted this seminar on 24 October. Hiram Henner-Cwirn, CSO Senior Solicitor, spoke on choosing your agency's trade marks, Karen Ferris, CSO Senior Solicitor, discussed a new era in NSW procurement of goods and services and new co-operative State and Territory schemes. Lynne Shearman, CSO Senior Solicitor delivered a talk on Government use of third party software - avoiding infringement and unlicenced use. Finally John Hatzistergos, NSW Bar, delivered a paper on Controlling costs in litigation - offers of compromise and Calderbanks. We appreciate your feedback if you attended this seminar.
- Recent Developments in Constitutional Law The Constitutional Law and Native Title Practice Group hosted this seminar on 19 September. Paolo Buchberger, CSO Special Counsel discussed the decisions in Betfair v Racing New South Wales and Sportsbet v New South Wales, Naomi Sharp, Counsel spoke about the groundbreaking case Williams v the Commonwealth and Jeremy Southwood, CSO Senior Solicitor delivered a paper titled ‘Where to next for the implied freedom of political communication?’.
- Administrative Law Update: Hosted by the Adminstrative Law Practice Group 22 August 2012. Anina Johnson, CSO Solicitor Advocate discussed recent developments in Administrative Law and Joanna Davidson, CSO Senior Solicitor discussed the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009. Sarah-jane Morris, CSO Special Counsel delivered a paper on privacy. The seminar was attended by over 140 clients and staff.
- Public Sector Law and Practice: Hosted by the Employment Law Practice Group 18 July 2012. Christa Ludlow, Assistant Crown Solicitor presented on Federal and State legal developments in the area of Employment and Industrial Law. Zita Antonios, Mediator, presented on Mediation: maximising opportunities to settle. Over 120 clients and staff attended the seminar.
- Dissatisfied with Children's Court orders - where to next?: Hosted by the Child Protection Practice Group 20 June 2012. Emily Howes, CSO Senior Solicitor spoke on Family Law and Interventions and Shelley Anderson, CSO Senior Solicitor discussed Care Appeals to the District Court. Michelle England, Barrister spoke on Prerogative Relief Applications.
- Criminal Law/Inquiries Update: The Criminal Law and Inquiries Practice Groups hosted the client seminar "Criminal Law/Inquiries Update" 23 May 2012. Ian Fraser, CSO Senior Solicitor discussed Counsel assisting inquests and inquiries - role and successful engagement. Clare Miller, CSO Senior Solicitor delivered a paper on Court suppression and Non-Publication Orders Act 2010 and Belinda Baker, CSO Solicitor Advocate spoke on Prosecutorial disclosures and the decision in Lipton v The Queen. Over 100 staff and clients attended the seminar.
- Law through the looking glass: Making sense of changeable things: Hosted by the Commercial/Property (Litigation) Law Practice Group 18 April 2012, Rashelle Seiden, Barrister, spoke on "when facts are crucial and not what they seem". CSO Senior Solicitors, Sharon Gordon and Bradley Row delivered talks on "when words mean different things" and "believing impossible things" respectively.
- Community Law Update: The Community Law Practice Group hosted the Community Law Update seminar on 21 March 2012. Anthea Tomlin, Assistant Crown Solicitor, spoke on The Disability Discrimination Act 1992 - 20 years (on behalf of Kate Burns). Robert Bromwich SC, delivered a talk on public interest immunity and confidential witnesses. Almost 90 clients and staff attended the seminar.
- I have been issued with a subpoena for production. What do I do? : The Torts Law Practice Groups hosted the client seminar "I have been issued a subpoena for production. What do I Do?" on 22 February 2012. Cassandra Woolley, CSO Solicitor presented on court rules, tips and procedures for responding to a subpoena and Lucy Pinnock, CSO Senior Solicitor presented on objections to subpoenas - the law you need to know. Anthea Tomlin, Assistant Crown Solicitor discussed an introduction to public interest immunity. Over 120 clients and staff attended the seminar.
- Hot Topics in 2011: The Government Law Practice Group hosted the client seminar "Hot Topics in 2011" on 23 November 2011. Alison Merridew, CSO Solicitor presented a paper on ex gratia payments in NSW and Jeremy Southwood, CSO A/Senior Solicitor presented a paper on waiver of legal professional privilege in legal advice to Government. Lea Armstrong, General Counsel (Treasury) discussed the composition of Statutory Boards and Committees. Over 90 clients and staff attended the seminar.
- Procurement in Government: The Commercial/Property (Transactions) Law Practice Group hosted the client seminar "Procurement in Government" on 19 October 2011. Joseph Smith, NSW Self Insurance Corporation presented on Treasury Managed Fund services/support for procurement/contract management. Gary McCourt and Jill Charters, Suncorp presented on contracting risk management and discussed work, health & safety in the context of procurement. Larry Noble, Department of Finance & Services discussed an overview of Procure IT - version 3.
- Native Title - Procedures & Implications Revisited: The Constitutional & Native Title Law Practice Group hosted the client seminar "Native Title - Procedures & Implications Revisited" on 21 September 2011. Peter Anet presented an overview of the nature and significance of native title for agencies and some aspects of ILUAs. Tim Dauth, CSO Historian presented on the State's approach to credible evidence and John Waters, Barrister presented a paper on s.211 - why is it important?
- Administrative Law Update: Over 135 clients and staff attended the client seminar "Administrative Law Update" on 24 August 2011, hosted by the Administrative Law Practice Group. Dr David Galbraith, CSO Senior Solicitor presented on the Vexatious Proceedings Act 2008 and CSO Senior Solicitors Dr Juliet Lucy and Joanna Davidson presented a paper on recent developments in information regulation. John McDonnell, Assistant Crown Solicitor delivered an entertaining presentation on delegation issues.
- Health & Safety in the Workplace: The Employment Law Practice Group hosted a client seminar "Health & Safety in the Workplace" on 20 July 2011. Louise Wattus, Senior Solicitor, WorkCover and Sara Gul Solicitor Advocate, WorkCover presented on the National Model Work Health and Safety Act and Dr Anne Wyatt, Consultant and Dr Carlo Caponecchia, University of NSW presented on Workplace bullying: systemic approaches to prevention and management.
- ADR in Child Protection :The Child Protection Practice Group hosted a client seminar "ADR in child protection" on 22 June 2011. Catherine Samuels, CSO Senior Solicitor presented on ADR and child protection and related matters. Sally Lord, Senior Family Medical Coordinator, Legal Aid Commission discussed FDR: Lawyer-assisted mediation in parenting matters and David Croke, Children's Registrar, Children's Court of NSW delivered a paper on ADR: Dispute Resolution Conferences in the Children's Court.
- Regulatory Criminal Law & Coronial Inquests: Over 120 clients and staff attended the Criminal Law and Inquiries Practice Groups client seminar Regulatory Criminal Law & Coronial Inquests on 25 May 2011. Rebecca Graham, CSO Senior Solicitor presented a paper on Coronial Inquests and Inquiries: Tips from two sides of the Bar table. CSO Solicitor Advocates Peter Aitken and Brett Thomson discussed Sex and Drugs and Highway Tolls: A prosecutor's reflections and Sentencing in Regulatory Prosecutions respectively.
- Public Sector Litigation: The Commercial/Property (Litigation) Practice Group hosted a client seminar Public Sector Litigation on 4 May 2011. Jane Needham SC presented on a day in the life of the ADT revenue division. CSO Senior Solicitors Ewa Pardey and Sharon Gordon delivered papers on global changes in ADR and amending pleadings - when is late too late? respectively.
- Community Law Update: The CSO Community Law Practice Group hosted the client seminar Community Law Update on 30 March 2011. Kate Burns, CSO Special Counsel discussed exemptions form the Anti-Discrimination Act 1977 - Auto and General Insurance v President, Anti Discrimination Board. Robert McIlwaine, Legal Representation Office presented a paper on protections for confidential sources of information to government. CSO Senior Solicitors Alison Walsh presented on the reserved judgments in R v Lipton and Leigh Plater presented on the judgment in State of NSW v Public Transport Ticketing Corporation.
- Hot Topics of the Legal Profession: The CSO Torts Law Practice Groups hosted the first client seminar for 2011, Hot Topics of the Legal Profession, on 23 February. Steven Mark, Legal Services Commissioner discussed communication between lawyers - Where is 'the line'? and Joe Catanzariti, Treasurer of the Law Council of Australia discussed nationalisation of the legal profession.
Log in to the Client Centre for:
• Client Newsletters
• Seminar papers
Contact CSO Marketing
CSO Seminar Series
CSO Seminars are hosted by our specialist practice groups and cover a wide variety of legal issues and topics.
See our full seminar program